Zucchini Pasta with Chicken & Pistachios
Serves: 2-4 servings
– 2–2½ pounds / about 1 kg of zucchini (courgettes)
– 1 tablespoon salt
– 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
– 2 cloves garlic
– ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
– ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
– 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (150 g/ 4–6 oz. each)
– 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or ghee
– 1 teaspoon salt
– ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
– 2 scallions
– 7–10 fresh mint leaves
– ¼ cup shelled pistachios
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Prep the noodles. Julienne the zucchini with the spiralizer. Place the noodles in a colander and toss them with the salt until the strands are lightly coated. Set the colander in the sink to drain while you prep the other ingredients.
2. Cook the chicken. Pound the chicken to ½-inch thickness between two pieces of plastic wrap with the smooth side of the meat hammer, then slice it crosswise into strips. Warm the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, 2–3 minutes. Add the chicken, sprinkle it with the salt and pepper, then toss to coat it in the oil. Spread the chicken in a single layer and let it cook undisturbed, 2–3 minutes. Flip with a spatula, separating the pieces and cook for an additional 2–3 minutes on the other side. Continue to flip and cook the chicken until it’s browned and sizzling on most sides, about 2 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover it loosely with aluminium foil.
3. Prep the aromatics. Thinly slice the scallions, mince the mint leaves, and coarsely chop the pistachios. Add everything to a bowl with the lemon juice, mix with a fork, and place nearby because the next part goes quickly.
4. Finish the noodles. Place the olive oil in a small bowl. Peel and crush the garlic, then add it to the bowl with the oil. Add the cumin and pepper to the bowl, mix with a fork, and set it nearby. Rinse the zucchini noodles under running water, drain them well, and squeeze them in a clean dish towel to remove excess water. Return the skillet you used for the chicken to the stove and reheat it over medium-high heat, 2–3 minutes. Place the prepared zucchini noodles in the dry pan and sauté them until just tender, 2–3 minutes. Push the noodles to the side of the pan, and reduce the heat to medium low. Add the garlic oil to the pan and cook for 20 seconds, stirring constantly. Push the zucchini noodles into the oil and stir gently until they’re coated. Turn off the heat and add the chicken to the noodles, along with the mint-pistachio mixture. Toss to combine.
5. To serve, divide the pasta among individual bowls and arm everyone with a big spoon to twirl the strands.