Low carb, grain-free chocolate chip cookie dough in a crisp chocolate shell. A fun and tasty low carb Easter treat.
I am admittedly throwing this post up in a hurry and not taking the time to write you a fun little anecdote. We just got back from our spring break vacation in Florida, which is quite a haul from to and from Portland, Oregon. I wouldn’t necessarily choose to haul all three kids cross country like that, but it was so good to see my dad and his wife, the doting grandparents that spoil the kids rotten. They had a ball playing in the pool, basking in the sun, and spending the day at Legoland. And now we’re back to chilly, rainy reality. Such is life!
Whilst I was down in the warmer climes, I took some time out to create a low carb Easter recipe I had in mind. It’s based on my earlier Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites, with a few small tweaks to make the dough firmer and cut-out-able. I just thought it would be the perfect thing as an easy, last minute Easter treat.
And for the record, these photos were taken on the floor of my dad’s sunroom with some plastic Easter eggs I managed to scrounge from the pantry. Perhaps a little overly bright but they do the trick. My kids LOVED these eggs! Yours will too.
PLEASE SEE MY COOKIE DOUGH EASTER EGGS ON A SWEET LIFE
Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers. It is calculated using MacGourmet software and I remove erythritol from the final carb count and net carb count, as it does not affect my own blood glucose levels. I do my best to be as accurate as possible but you should independently calculate nutritional information on your own before relying on them. I expressly disclaim any and all liability of any kind with respect to any act or omission wholly or in part in reliance on anything contained in this website.
How can you have a proper Easter celebration without chocolate eggs? Every kid loves them…but not every kid can eat them without consequence. Well, this year, the Easter Bunny is making every kid happy. These Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Easter Eggs are low carb, grain-free, and egg-free too. Crisp chocolate shell, sweet cookie dough filling!
Cookie Dough Easter Eggs
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar (best if you use powdered sweetener to avoid grittiness)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar-free chocolate chips
- 6 ounces sugar-free dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, sweetener, and salt. Add butter, vanilla extract and chocolate chips.
- Turn dough out onto parchment or waxed paper and pat out into a rough square, about 8 x 8 inches and 1/2 inch high.
- Use a small egg-shaped cookie cutter (about 2 inches long) to cut out as many eggs as possible. Use a knife or offset spatula to gently lift the eggs onto a waxed paper-lined platter or cookie sheet. Gather up the scraps and re-pat out and cut more eggs out. Continue until no more eggs can be cut out (you should get about 14 to 15 eggs).
- Freeze eggs until completely frozen, about 1 hour.
- Set a heat-proof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Add chocolate and coconut oil and stir until completely melted.
- Dip each frozen egg into the chocolate, tossing to coat all over. Lift out with a fork and tap firmly on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place on another waxed paper-lined platter or cookie sheet.
- Drizzle any extra chocolate over the eggs in fun designs (you can put it into a ziploc bag with the very tip cut off to make proper designs).
- Freeze or refrigerate until firm.
Yield: Makes about 14 (Depending on the size of your cookie cutter)
Food energy: 238 kcal
Total fat: 21.67g
Calories from fat: 195
Protein per serving: 5.33g
Total dietary fiber: 6.85g